Thursday, February 18, 2010

Ritual

The assignment was to choose a ritualistic object and create two accessories to go with the object. All three objects and their relationships were to be a part of the creation and performance of the ritual.

I chose my ring as my object and protecting it as the ritual. I wanted to create something that would allow me to keep the ring protected and not lost at all times. I created an object that was either one or two depending on where I was. I made, out of wood, a cube-like structure (inspired by a ring box) and a small pouch out of felt fabric that can be removed from the wooden box. If i was at home - not wearing the ring - the box would be a display for the ring. This is a place where I could always keep my ring and know where it is. When i leave to go out, i can remove the pouch and place it in my purse or bag. If i would need to take my ring off while in public for any reason, I could safely put my ring in it and pull the drawstring so it is safe and won't get lost in my bag.

Throughout this project, I learned how truly important it is to form relationships with objects. This is what i found made my project successful - considering all materials and objects involved and creating a relationship between them.






No comments:

Post a Comment