Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Extrapolating the Human Body - Part A

"This exercise introduces the student to observe and document the human body through anthropometric and ergonomic analysis which are fundamental to the principles of spatial design." -First sentence on the assignment sheet. This assignment has 3 parts. Part A was basically an exercise to help us get to know our body and gain an understanding of scale and how we really are. We were to devise a measuring system that we could use in any situation and overall develop an awareness of our own bodies through time.

FINAL

Full body drawing to scale with dimensions.
Sequence of time and movement, with height relation of my heal to hip measurement and the trash can.

This is my drawing that shows my measuring system and overall interest in ergonomics and how everything is designed with the human body in mind, even when we don't realize it. I use the length from my heal to my hip (35") as an easy measuring devise for me. I can go up to anything and stand there and analyze where it relates to the height of my hips, and be able to tell the approximate height of the object. I studied images of myself in various positions and found it interesting how geometry plays a part in design. While sitting on a stool with my feet on the lower bar, my knees, feet, and bend in my midsection makes a 30, 60, 90 degree triangle. While leaning over to drink out of the drinking fountain, my mouth, the fountain, and my bend makes a 45 degree angle.


PRELIMINARY WORK


No comments:

Post a Comment