Friday, January 21, 2011

Bio Revisited

On the first day of class this semester, we had a discussion about our goals, our strengths, and our general design biography. Class icebreakers like this can be difficult but interesting, and always leave me thinking.

When asked to write down some of my goals, I had to take some time to think about what I truly want for myself. One goal that I have always had is to strive to challenge myself. I want to do this by exploring other ways of doing things and see what works best for me. Another goal I have is to get better at expressing my thoughts and designs. I want to keep practicing and learning new software and other ways to render digitally and by hand. This semester I hope to collaborate more with my peers to get optimum feed back. I have learned that talking to my classmates and professors can really help so I want to do that more. My final goal is a goal that I share with most of my classmates. I am in this program to narrow my design focus and figure out what I really love designing.

Talking about personal strengths is something else that is hard for me to do. After being modest, I came up with a few. I believe that I can produce graphically aesthetic compositions. I also have adequate knowledge of a range of digital software and have the ability to learn new software quickly. Lastly, I am able to work well alone and also in groups.

As a typical design student, my many interests are broad. I came to UNCG into Interior Architecture with interests in residential design. I have a fascination for homes near the beach and the opportunity to relate the architecture to the surroundings. Then I found an appreciation for home restoration and renovation. I don’t know a lot about restoration but it is something I would like to experience and learn more about. Into my second semester of first year, I started looking into luxury hotel, apartment, and condo style design. Most recently, I have shown interest in retail set design. While some of these interests are more current, they are all options for me while I continue to keep my mind open.

The beginning of every semester is always exciting. I look forward to seeing how much I progress at the end of the semester and looking back at all I have learned.

No comments:

Post a Comment