Monday, January 10, 2011

wi1


In studio today, we had a discussion about our goals for this semester, our strengths, and where we stand in our design personalities. When asked to write down some of my goals, I had to take a few minutes to think about what I truly want for myself this semester. This is what I came up with: explore my design creativity in other ways by challenging myself, learn new ways to express my designs (new software and hand rendering), collaborate with my peers more to get feedback, and narrow my design focus.

As a design student, my many interests are broad. I came to UNCG into IARc with interests in residential design. Then I found an appreciation for home restoration and renovation. Into my second semester of first year, I started looking into luxury hotel, apartment, and condo style design. Most recently, I have shown interest in retail set design. While some of these interests are fresher in my mind, they are all options for me while I continue to keep my mind open.

Today, we did an exercise where we had to question the way we do specific things, giving each a number on how often we do it. The final number would tell us about our design change style and how we go about doing things. There are two main categories, which our scores placed us in: strong conserver and strong originalist. My score was 8 on the original side. Since it is close to 0, that meant that I was in a separate third group, the true pragmatics. Some of the characteristics of this group were: appreciation of change when its needed rather than change for change sake, practical and reasonable, mediator, prefers goals to help guide, able to learn from mistakes, values harmony in group work rather than making quick decisions. I thought these results were oddly accurate for me. I was also surprised that two of my classmates, Cassie and Faith, had the exact score as me.

Two of the strengths I believe I have are: good composition and the knowledge of digital software and ability to quickly learn new software. The image I chose to show illustrates these two qualities.

No comments:

Post a Comment