Sunday, March 25, 2012

Studio Research Summary + Ideas

With all of the research that was presented to the class on Friday, I feel like I have a much better understanding of the studio project now. Before, I had no idea what I might do the project on. But now, I have a much more clear idea.

Many presentations throughout the day interested me and helped give me some ideas. The survey group started off explaining the surveys that were taken by students in the department. There was a question about what people wanted to see in a new design for the studio. Answers such as outdoor space, rendering lab, different library, kitchenette, café, lounge, mobile desks, and more color/interior architecture signage, were given.

I was interested in the statistics about how many people spend time in the building. The number seems to lower as students get older and more advanced with the program. In my opinion, I think it is a combination of students getting bored with the space and uninspired, and the needs of students change as they get older. When students come in as freshmen, many of them live on campus, like I did myself. It is hard living in such a small space, with really only one room. I liked to hang out at studio first year because it was big. It was also a place that I could gather with my other pals, since our dorm rooms were so little. Many students move to a house or apartment in the 2nd or 3rd years and the need for this hang out space lessens. And in many situations, students moving off campus find a place in the dwelling to set up workspace for studio assignments. The need to go to studio to work lessens here too. I find that now as a 3rd year student, I really only need my computer to get things done. So I would much rather cozy up in my apartment on the couch than sit in horribly uncomfortable chairs at studio.

So after all this consideration, I have found where my project lies. I want to design a student lounge and potentially a connected café/kitchenette that will reside in Gatewood. I want this space to be somewhere that reminds students of home. I plan on designing the space with comfortable seating such as couches and armchairs. And also maybe some desks that are different than those in the studio. I want it to have an overall feeling of being home, but in a space that still allows for collaboration with classmates. It will be a perfect combination of the two, a home-away-from-home even. I see this space being located on the 2nd floor in room 203, where the current “lounge” is. I also wish to open it up to the vending area and make that into a little kitchenette with a few small appliances. I plan on choosing materials that are different than the concrete rooms surrounding to create a sort of retreat for students to go to when they need a change of scenery.

No comments:

Post a Comment