Monday, April 9, 2012

Crossroads Lounge: Core Values


Community
This space showcases community in the ways that it brings the two departments in Gatewood together. Currently, IARc and Art are very separate - different sides of the building, different floors, different people. My design of a Crossroads Lounge bring the two environments together. My ideal hopes are that this lounge will be designed so that it is comfortable and inviting for everyone in the Gatewood building.

Authenticity
I think it is important to keep the authenticity of the Gatewood building in my design of the lounge. With my concept of crossroads, I chose to use both the current style and merge it with a new style. I kept parts of the current design such as the coffered ceiling and concrete flooring to remind the users that this is a room within the Gatewood Building.

Innovation
My idea of innovation is taking something that already exists and doing something new and creative with it. I am designing a lounge and kitchenette in a location that currently is a version of that. Today, it is a small lounge adjacent to a vending room. My design merges the two to form a fully functioning collaboration center with a food prep kitchenette with room for dining. By doing this, it transforms what was “just a lounge” into something much more useful and innovative.

Stewardship
My design promotes collaboration within this space in the studio. When students chose to work off campus instead of at studio, they lose the ability to go to classmates for advice. I designed the space with different media to give students a comfortable place to work together and help each other. This is my definition of stewardship - helping others.

No comments:

Post a Comment