Friday, April 30, 2010

Versatile Movement - Final Design for Artist Studio

This is my final designs for the artist studio we had to design. The artist I chose is Joanna Eberts, a student at Rochester Institute of Technology. She does all sorts of art but focuses on illustration. The versatility that she has in her art style inspired me to create my final design around the concept of versatility. I incorporated a strong use of sliding glass panels that I had used in my original thoughts and designs. Because Joanna has such a broad style, using bright colors as well as gray scale in her artwork, I used this as inspiration for my color palette - shades of gray with a green accent color. The space is able to be completely opened up to circulate around the central port of the space - the bathroom. The bathroom walls are the only interior walls in the space. When the sliding glass doors are "closed" the space suddenly becomes more private because the glass is frosted to make it translucent and not completely see thru. I originally designed the sleeping area then modified it slightly after seeing Monticello and Thomas Jefferson's bed. It is designed so that the user can get out of bed on either side depending on what they want to do - slide the doors open on the left to enter the studio, or get out of bed on the right to go to the living, kitchen, or bathroom. The private entrance that I added is located in the bedroom, and is an exterior door.

This is my final board on presentation day.



My final model of the space, structurally.

Hand rendered perspective of lounge looking towards the studio, bathroom and exterior door.
Hand perspective of kitchen and lounge
Hand perspective from lounge looking towards the bathroom and studio through the glass panels
Sketchup perspective from studio looking towards bedroom and kitchen
Sketchup perspective from bedroom looking into studio with sliding doors open and view of ceiling installation

Sketchup perspective from exterior door/bedroom looking towards kitchen
Floor plan of proposed space






Materials: Stone flooring, and bamboo wood for ceiling installation
Precedent images


Me feeling great after presenting!

1 comment:

  1. Whoa, that stuff looks sweet. Those sketchups of the rooms look awesome

    ReplyDelete