Friday, February 10, 2012

"Feedback Loop": Anna Behrendt

After getting a closer look at Anna Behrendt’s redesign of the Music Library at UNCG, I absolutely love its potential. I think with some more development, it could be really great. Her concept is reverberation. This goes perfectly with this music building and her design shows it off with a repetition of forms throughout the space.
In her design, she uses these awesome curved units that provide shelving on the bookends and a private space in the middle. I think the function of these “nooks” is great, but they take up a lot of space and could be used in a better way.

Looking at Anna’s floor plan, these units are all in the center of the room, avoiding the perimeter. While this may work for circulation being able to walk around them, I think they just take up too much space this way. Maybe she can have some up against the wall, and do something else with the center of the space.
Her design focuses on maybe three needs of users: the lounger, the “head-in-the-books” student, and the book-browser. I haven’t done as much research on the music library as Anna has, but I might suggest adding some space for group study/tutoring. I think she could look more into the learning commons strategy that we discussed in class on Wednesday to help provide to the needs of more users. This could help fill up the space if she were to move around the study units.
Another thing I noticed is that while she excelled in the design of the main study units, she really lacks attention to the ceiling and floor. I think doing this would help pull her concept together. Overall, I thought Anna was really creative in her design and I loved her color scheme. I think that if this design was matured to it’s full potential, Anna would have an amazing design that the librarian staff and users would love!

No comments:

Post a Comment