Monday, February 6, 2012

Freelon Group + Paula Carr

I really enjoyed our visit to Freelon Group on Wednesday. It was the first firm that I have been to their building and I thought it was a great experience seeing the insides of a company and how they work. I enjoyed hearing how the interior designers work throughout the project and not just at the end. That was one thing similar to what Paula Carr had to say about tvs design. While at Freelon Group, I really appreciated their advice on what they look for at interviews. Although some things mentioned were contradictory to what some of the professors have told us, I was still open to hearing their opinions.

Following our visit at the firm, we traveled to the Durham County South Regional Library, designed by Freelon Group. This visit was inspirational not only because we are looking at this library in our IAR 311 class, but also our IAR 302 Studio where we are redesigning the Jackson Library at UNCG. My favorite part of this library was the slatted wood ceiling that peaked out around the edges of the interior. I also loved the colorful furniture throughout the library which really brightened up the space and turned a library into a place that I would want to be in.

I think these visits with professionals help a lot to inform us students of what it is like in the professional world of design. When Paula visited us, I thought she had a lot of interesting information to share. What stood out most to me was the way her design process worked. She sketches a lot to get ideas across quickly so that inspired me to sketch more at the beginning stages. Then she puts her ideas into the digital world and models many of the different ideas until they eventually pin them up to talk about as a group.

No comments:

Post a Comment