Sunday, February 19, 2012

Next Steps in Re-Redesigning the Jackson Library

So on Friday, everyone came to class with their ideas on how to design their assigned library yet again. After talking with my peers, I have some great new ideas to develop. My concept being "water flowing and the flow of knowledge carrying users throughout the library", I struggled with how many curves I should input into my design. After our discussion Friday, I decided on one slight curve through my newly planned learning commons. This curve will encourage users to circulate around the curve to see what may be behind it. I was also really interested in designing a multi functional space that can be transformed into an event/lecture area for guests. My idea is to have a large stadium-like seating in two bracket forms in the main axis. During average use, students can hang out here for casual reading or meeting with friends. When there is a guest speaker, the seating will be closed off to passerbys so people have to walk around it instead of through it. My main design steps are to work on the design of this raised multi-use seating and also the learning commons. The learning commons needs to accommodate for people wanting to be by themselves, with others, on the computer, and more.

No comments:

Post a Comment